Saturday 15 October 2016

Developing intentions for my main idea (trailer)

Mise en Scene: I want to construct an effective mise en scene by making it clear that my trailer is of the dark fantasy genre by including elements of both the traditional fantasy and horror genres. I intend to do this by:

  • Props - many fantasy films indicate their genre by utilising props which are iconographic of fantasy genre such as wands and books - often these indicate aspects of wonder or mystery. 
  • Lighting/Weather - obviously the weather is unpredictable, but ideally I would like it to be dry and sunny on filming days. In fantasy films, the sun encourages the appearance of mystical creatures, and offers an element of hope - traditional fairy tales almost always have a happy ending. 
  • Location - using both indoor and outdoor locations to reveal the juxtaposition between nature and indoors/industry - this will emphasise the evil queen's dominance in both spheres.
  • Colour - I want to have natural colouring outside but at the internal location, I want the shots to appear redder and more artificial.
Editing: I wish to be creative in the editing process and employ a range of techniques to make an enigmatic and suspenseful trailer. 
I intend to do this by:
  • Fade to blacks - these are often used in trailers to act as a natural transition from shot to shot. Aside from this, because they inhibit the audience's clarity and vision of what is happening, they build suspense and ambiguity.
  • Filters and Video Effects - these make the trailer more engaging and may influence whether the audience decodes the preferred meaning of the media producer. For example, a black and white filter may suggest negativity. Also, people see colours differently.
  • Opacity - I want to try and experiment with the opacity of clips,  implying the dominance of certain characters/places.
  • Titles - I want to be more ambitious with titles, perhaps animating them. This is because I feel that titles and transitions were areas which I lost marks on last year - I stuck to preloaded ones due to uncertainty regarding other software.
Camera work: I want the camera work to be individualistic and take on many different angles and shot types to showcase various dimensions to the evil queen as a character.
  • Close ups - to convey emotions, evoking a range of audience features
  • Extreme close ups - to suggest the dominance of a character and emphasise the feelings and characteristics of the character, as well as further explain the narrative. 
  • Low angle shots - to give a different perspective - for example they serve to demonstrate the progression of movement a character has towards the camera.
  • Long shots - communicate the stature of the evil queen as well as exhibit the surroundings, which hopefully adhere to the conventions of the genre. 
Sound: I would like the sound to take on the role of explaining the narrative as I think it's quite an abstract idea. I understand that the understanding audiences get of a narrative from a trailer is often restricted - it gives them a taster of the film in the hope that they will proceed to watch the film. I hope the sound that I use this year is more suited and relatable to the footage on screen. 
  • Voice over - to add depth to the narrative but also put the audience in the position of a character which is otherwise difficult to empathise with.
  • Non diegetic sound (singing) - Due to it being quite an unique/abstract concept it may be that the only way to explain my understanding of it is through singing. I will get someone who is confident with singing to  do so. This will also give me the freedom to modify and build on it.
  • Non diegetic sound (score) - I feel that having this underneath the singing will give the singing more substance to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment