Thursday 13 October 2016

Planning - Props

What are props?
Props (also known as theatrical property) are anything that the actors use while on stage or camera as part of the story or the character. They act as a support to create verisimilitude. Sometimes they are the possessions of the character. Props are usually seperate to anything involved with costume and could have some significance in the narrative.

Fairy Tale Book
A fairy tale book is important to my narrative because it is a way of the Evil Queen conveying her hatred of the fairy tale world by it being ripped up. There is also a concept of a story within a story that I can explore with this. Stories can blur the lines between fiction and reality, and this not being clear is stereotypical of the fantasy genre. The genre combines elements of the real world and fantastical ones to make it more engaging for the audience.

Fairy tale books are symbolic of innocence. This is a theme which is closely examined in the fantasy genre as there has to be a sense of belief and faith to make it more enjoyable. Adults are often more cynical whereas children believe the fairy tales, so by destroying the fairy tale book, it is a metaphor for destroying innocence. This idea is paramount because I want to make sure that the darker element of 'dark fantasy' is successfully communicated to the audience through my trailer.

I hope that this will be an effective prop because it is one of the fundamental ways through which I plan to create the fairy tale element.


Example of Fairy Tale Book (from genre mood board)
Apples
The apples in my film are a metaphor for deterioration and is a reference to Snow White. I am going to assume that my audience have this shared frame of reference as it is a renowned story. Also, I am going to have a voice over when the apples are being shown onscreen so that it makes it easier for the audience to infer this.
Using fruit will allow me to play on the idea of something being fruitful.

No comments:

Post a Comment