Monday 26 September 2016

Introducing Main Task

For my main task, I am going to produce one main product and two ancillary products.
The images included - captioned rejected product 1 & 2, and ancillary product one (underlined) and ancillary product two (underlined) are from the OCR Specification.
Chosen idea:
From the specification, I am going to produce a promotion package for the film.
Rationale:
The reason why I have chosen to do a trailer is because it will allow me to demonstrate capabilities in editing. It may also require less filming, which I find easier on a practical level because of my disability. Therefore I am going to direct someone with the camera, as approved by OCR. I also think trailers are more interesting because they enable you to follow a kind of non linear structure and compile the best moments of the film in order to show the film in the most positive light. I find it fascinating how, even if the clips do not follow in the film, the concept of the film can still be conveyed to the audience.


Rejected product 1
The reason why I have rejected the music video product is because I do not feel my ideas would be imaginative enough to avoid clichés. I would probably find it difficult to convince my friends to act in a music video and am conscious of issues surrounding copyright.


Rejected product 2
The reason why I rejected the short film was because I would have had to devote more time to film. If I shot the footage in a linear order, it would have been difficult to experiment with editing. Throughout my A2 Year, I want to show progression in skill and experiment with new mediums. I do not feel as if the above task would enable me to do that enough.

Ancillary products:


Ancillary product one (underlined)
The reason why I have chosen to do a magazine front cover is because it allows me to develop and improve the skills and knowledge that I acquired from my GCSE Coursework. I would be interested in making it more sophisticated. Making a magazine cover also allows me to better understand software such as In Design. 
Ancillary product two (underlined)
My reasons for choosing to create a poster are:
  • It will give me the opportunity to develop my proficiency in In Design and potentially Photoshop
  • There are a lot of existing, effective posters from which I can see the conventions and gather inspiration for my own film. I can also express my concept using a more succinct and precise platforms.  
Examples of ancillary products:

Poster promoting Passengers (2016), at ComicCon


Magazine cover promoting Divergent (2014)
I have tried to find examples which relate to my chosen genre in order to get better suited ideas and inspiration.
Both the poster and magazine cover I have found use gender neutral colours such as yellow and white which could be indicative of the target audience; fantasy doesn't usually appeal to one gender more than the other. On the other hand, the grey and blue colours are suggestive of masculinity. I will consider stereotypes and whether it would appropriate to break them when looking at my target audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment